Drake University’s Teach in China Program offers recent graduates from any academic background the opportunity to live and work in China teaching English for a year. Since 2004, the Teach in China Program has placed over 220 graduates in teaching positions. The program is designed to respond to each participant’s interests by offering unique placements. Whether you are interested in gaining teaching, international, or Chinese cultural experience, the Teach in China Program will work to find the best setting to help you meet your goals.
- Each year, up to 20 participants are accepted to the Teach in China program
- Participants are placed in one of Drake University’s nine (9) partner institutions
- All partner schools are secondary or university level and are located in five (5) cities across China
- Teaching positions are paid, with each participant receiving a monthly salary. See below for more information.
- The 2018 - 19 program fee is $1,995. See below for more information.
- Attend an information session on Drake’s campus. If you are not a Drake student or are unable to make it to campus, please contact Stephanie Dana Ely (515-271-3075) for information.
- Complete the Terra Dotta application, INCLUDING two letters of recommendation. We require two recommendations: one academic and one professional. Letters are used in support of both an applicants’ program admission decision as well as the Chinese work authorization application.
- Interview with the Teach in China program staff. Interviews will be conducted in-person at Drake University. Exceptions may be made in certain circumstances.
- Once the interviews are complete, staff will work to determine appropriate participation and placements in the program. Applicants will be notified as soon as possible if accepted.
GENERAL TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
In return for teaching an average of 14-16 hours per week, program teachers will receive the following directly from Drake’s approved partner schools:
- A salary of 4,000-5,000 RMB per month (approximately $575-$725)
- Private, furnished housing
- Emergency medical insurance
- Reimbursement for airfare to and from China
- An additional travel allowance of 1,100 Yuan (approximately $160)
- Ongoing personal and professional support from school and department officials
- 4-6 week paid vacation between semesters
PROGRAM FEE DETAILS
The program fee for the Teach in China Program 2018 - 2019 fee is $1,995. This fee includes the following services from Drake University:
- Placement and negotiation of participants' teaching contracts with approved partner schools
- A 120-hour TEFL training on-campus during the month of May. The training will combine various modes of delivery including online and in-person sessions.
- A four- to five-day training in Guilin in August prior to the beginning of your teaching assignment which includes basic Chinese language instruction, an orientation to the culture and history of China, experiential learning exercises and a home-stay to help teachers adjust to living in China. Orientation is hosted by the Chinese Language Institute.
- ISIC (International Student Identity) Card which includes basic emergency travel insurance
- Enrollment in the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
- Ongoing coordination of support with employing school throughout placement procedure and program year.
For questions and more information, please contact Stephanie Dana Ely
(515-271-3075) for more information.